The Staten Island Ferry

Past Staten Island Ferries (2)

Dongan Hills is a neighborhood located within New York City's borough of Staten Island. It is on the Island's East Shore. The neighborhood was originally known by two separate names, the western half being called Hillside Park and the eastern half Linden Park. Both were later renamed for Thomas Dongan, the Irish-born governor of the Province of New York after Great Britain acquired it from the Netherlands in 1682. The "hills" alluded to in the name are actually the eastern ridge of Todt Hill, and much of what is colloquially referred to as "Todt Hill" by most island residents is actually reckoned as belonging to Dongan Hills by more authoritative sources such as the Staten Island Advance. However, there is a section of Dongan Hills that actually contains large hills. This portion of the neighborhood is called, the Dongan Hills Colony. "The Colony" is located above Richmond Road and borders the neighborhood of Todt Hill.
Commision Date 1929
Gross Tonnage 2029
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines Double Compound Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 3,500
Length / Width 252' / 46'
Out of documentation in 1967.
Tompkinsville is a neighborhood in northeastern Staten Island in New York City in the United States. Though the neighborhood sits on the island's eastern shore, along the waterfront facing Upper New York Bay - between St. George on the north and Stapleton on the south - it is reckoned as being part of the North Shore by the island's residents. Tompkinsville is the oldest European village in eastern Staten Island. It was the site where early explorers replenished their fresh water supplies and was known in colonial times as the "Watering Place". In 1815, a settlement was established in the neighborhood next to the existing quarantine station by Daniel D. Tompkins, who was elected Vice President the following year. In 1817 Tompkins built a dock at the foot of present-day Victory Boulevard and began offering steam ferry service to Manhattan. In the early 1900s, the telephone exchange that served Staten Island's eastern North Shore was named after the neighborhood; the name of this exchange became "Saint George" in the mid-190s, and "SAint George 7" when New York Telephone upgraded telephone service throughout New York City in December of 1930. Converted for All-Number Calling, the prefix "727" still exists on the island today, and is the sole survivor of the designations that existed in the 1920s
Commision Date 1930
Gross Tonnage 2029
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines Double Compound Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 3,500
Length / Width 252' / 46'
Sold for scrap in 1965.
Knickerbocker, is a surname that dates back to the early Dutch colonists in New York. The name translates as "marble baker" in Dutch. In 1809, Washington Irving published his satirical A History of New York under the pseudonym "Diedrich Knickerbocker", and since that time "Knickerbocker" has been used in various contexts as a name emblematic of New York City.
Commision Date 1932
Gross Tonnage 2029
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines Double Compound Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 3,500
Length / Width 252' / 46'
To honor the mothers who lost sons during World War I and signified it by hanging Gold Stars in their windows. Out of documentation in 1972.
Shortly after World War I the American Gold Star Mothers Inc. was formed in the United States to provide support for mothers that lost sons or daughters in the war. The name came from the custom of families of servicemen hanging a banner called a Service Flag in the window of their homes. The Service Flag had a star for each family member in the military. Living servicemen were represented by a blue star, and those who had lost their lives were represented by a gold star. Gold Star Mothers are often socially active but are non-political. Today, membership in the Gold Star Mothers is open to any American woman who has lost a son or daughter in service to the United States. On the last Sunday in September, Gold Star Mother's Day is observed in the U.S. in their honor.
Commision Date 1937
Gross Tonnage 2126
Passengers / Cars 2328 / 24
Builder United Dry Dock, SI NY
Engines Double Compound Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 4,000
Length / Width 252' / 48'
Out of documentation in 1982.
Prominent Revolutionary War figure who delayed British Gen. William Howe by wining and dining him at her Midtown Manhattan estate as American troops made their way uptown with much needed supplies and reinforcements for Gen. George Washington and the Continental Army, who were holed up in Harlem Heights.
Commision Date 1937
Gross Tonnage 2126
Passengers / Cars 2328 / 24
Builder United Dry Dock, SI NY
Engines Double Compound Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 4,000
Length / Width 252' / 48'
Out of documentation in 1979.
Commision Date 1937
Gross Tonnage 2126
Passengers / Cars 2328 / 24
Builder United Dry Dock, SI NY
Engines Double Compound Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 4,000
Length / Width 252' / 48'
Only Staten Islander to win the Medal of Honor during World War II. He hailed from West Brighton.
Joseph F. Merrell (August 21, 1926 – April 18, 1945) was a United States Army soldier and a recipient of the United States military's highest decoration, the Medal of Honor, for his actions in World War II. On that day, near Lohe, Germany, he single-handedly attacked German positions which were firing on his unit. He disabled two enemy machine gun emplacements and killed nearly two dozen German soldiers before he was himself killed. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor (now on exhibit at Fort Wadsworth) ten months later, on February 26, 1946.
Commision Date 1951
Gross Tonnage 2285
Passengers / Cars 2954 / 24
Builder Bethlehem Steel Co. SI NY
Engines Skinner Unaflow Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 6,000
Length / Width 269' / 69'/td>
Converted to dormitory at Rikers Island in 1987. Sold for scrap in 2003.
Real estate developer and civic leader who helped found the Staten Island Chamber of Commerce.
Commision Date 1951
Gross Tonnage 2285
Passengers / Cars 2954 / 24
Builder Bethlehem Steel Co. SI NY
Engines Skinner Unaflow Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 6,000
Length / Width 269' / 69'/td>
First European explorer to pass through Narrows in 1524.
Giovanni da Verrazzano (1485–1528) was an Italian explorer of North America, in the service of the French crown. He is renowned as the first European since the Norse colonization of the Americas around AD 1000 to explore the Atlantic coast of North America between the Carolinas and Newfoundland, including New York Harbor and Narragansett Bay in 1524.
Commision Date 1952
Gross Tonnage 2285
Passengers / Cars 2954 / 24
Builder Bethlehem Steel Co. SI NY
Engines Skinner Unaflow Steam
Propulsion Direct Drive
Horsepower 6,000
Length / Width 269' / 69'/td>
City Island Ferry replaced by the Michael Cosgrove.
Commision Date
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width