The Staten Island Ferry

Past Staten Island Ferries (3)

To honor the national veterans organization. Decommissioned in 2006.
The American Legion is a congressionally chartered mutual-aid veterans organization of the United States armed forces founded to benefit those veterans who served during a wartime period as defined by the United States Congress. The American Legion was founded in 1919 by veterans returning from Europe after World War I, and was later chartered under Title 36 of the United States Code. The organization is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, and also has offices in Washington, D.C. The group has nearly 3 million members in over 14,000 Posts worldwide
Commision Date 1965
Gross Tonnage 2109
Passengers / Cars 3500 / 40
Builder Levingston Shipbuilding
Engines GM-EMD 567C16 (X4)
Propulsion Diesel Electric 600 volts DC<
Horsepower 6,500 SHP
Length / Width 277' / 69'
Governor of New York from 1933-42. Decommisioned in 2007 .
Herbert Henry Lehman (March 28, 1878 – December 5, 1963) was a Democratic Party politician from New York. He was the 45th Governor of New York from 1933 to 1942, and represented New York in the United States Senate from 1950 to 1957.
Commision Date 1965
Gross Tonnage 2109
Passengers / Cars 3500 / 40
Builder Levingston Shipbuilding
Engines GM-EMD 567C16 (X4)
Propulsion Diesel Electric 600 volts DC<
Horsepower 6,500 SHP
Length / Width 277' / 69'
Named after the Brooklyn neighborhood, the Bay Ridge was commissioned in 1907 and built by Harlan & Hollingsworth of Wilmington, Delaware. In 1940, after sustaining severe damage in a collision with a pier she was sold and converted to the barge Rappahannock River. The Bay Ridge operated mostly between Brooklyn and Staten Island but was often used on the South Ferry to St. George route when one of the larger vessels was out of service.
Commision Date 1907
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder Harlan & Hollingsworth, DE.
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width
Named after the Brooklyn canal, the Gowanus was commissioned in 1907 and built by Harlan & Hollingsworth of Wilmington, Delaware. The Gowanus operated mostly between Brooklyn and Staten Island but was often used on the South Ferry to St. George route when one of the larger vessels was out of service. She was scraped in 1940.
Commision Date 1907
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder Harlan & Hollingsworth, DE.
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width
Named after the Long Island County, the Nassau was commissioned in 1907 and built by Harlan & Hollingsworth of Wilmington, Delaware. The Nassau operated mostly between Brooklyn and Staten Island but was often used on the South Ferry to St. George route when one of the larger vessels was out of service. She was sold for scrap in 1940.
Commision Date 1907
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder Harlan & Hollingsworth, DE.
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width
The W.R. Hearst honored publisher William Randolph Hearst. This vessel was commissioned in 1923 and was built by the Staten Island Shipbuilding Company. The W.R. Hearst was renamed the Whitehall in the late 1930's. This vessel operated mostly between Brooklyn and Staten Island but was also used on the South Ferry to St. George route on an as needed basis.
Commision Date 1923
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width
The Rodman Wanamaker was named after department store magnate whose retail store Wanamaker's had locations in Philadelphia, New York City, and Paris, France. He was a patron of the arts, of education, of golf and athletics, of Native American scholarship, and was an investor in early aviation. This vessel was commissioned in 1923 and was built by the Staten Island Shipbuilding Company. The Rodman Wanamaker operated mostly between Brooklyn and Staten Island but was also used on the South Ferry to St. George route on an as needed basis.
Commision Date 1923
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width
Loft was an American businessman, politician, real estate developer, and owner/breeder of Thoroughbred racehorses. He gained considerable wealth in the candy manufacturing business and expanded into retailing, banking, and real estate.Commissioned in 1923 and built by the Staten Island Shipbuilding Company, she was utilized mostly between Brooklyn and Staten Island but was also used on the South Ferry to St. George route on an as needed basis. To date no photos have been found showing a full view of the George W. Loft.
Commision Date 1923
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width
Originally commissioned as the George W. Loft in 1923, the name was changed to the West Brighton by newly elected Mayor James Walker as candy store entrepreneur Loft was a supporter of the previous Mayor John Hylan who Walker defeated in the New York City Democratic Mayoral Primary of 1925.
Commision Date 1923
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width
Originally commissioned as the W.R. Hearst in 1923, by the City of New York, the name was changed to the Whitehall by newly elected Mayor James Walker as a slap at his predecessor John Hylan, who had originally named it after his friend and campaign supporter William Randolph Hearst.
Commision Date 1923
Gross Tonnage
Passengers / Cars
Builder SI Shipbuilding Co. NY
Engines
Propulsion
Horsepower
Length / Width